Welcome back to school to all of our pupils. We are looking forward to seeing you all back in the classroom after a period of home learning.
If your child is bringing a packed lunch to school, please send this in a disposable plastic bag (if possible) so that it can be disposed of and not sent back home with your child. This is to minimise items that are travelling between home and school.
Your children will need to bring a clearly labelled water bottle. These will be sent home regularly to be washed.
Your child will need their coat each day. Book bags or school bags do not need to be brought to school.
Your child will need to return their reading book and reading record but no other homework will be returned to school – see homework section below.
All children should come to school wearing their PE kits on the days when they have their PE lesson. In Year 2, this is each Tuesday and Friday.
On Mondays, spellings will be sent home. Please practice these but do not return them to school. All children will have a short spelling test on a Friday.
On Fridays, an English or Maths task will be set. This may be paper based, in a workbook that will remain at home or an online activity. Please return this completed activity online by uploading it onto class dojo where teachers will be able to view the homework.
We will be sending a reading book and a Reading Record home each Friday. Please read with your child over the weekend and make a comment in the record. Please return the book and the record each Monday.
We are requesting that parents adhere to this pattern and get into a routine of returning books each Monday. This is very important as the books will need to be quarantined before they are issued out to another child. If books are returned late, this delays them from being used again in this cycle.
We will use class dojo to communicate regarding homework and other matters. We may also want to send you a message to let you know how well your child is doing and recognise particular efforts and achievements. Please ensure you are signed up to class dojo. If you need further information, please contact the school office by email or telephone.
Our topic this half term is Inspirational Women. We will be learning about Grace Darling, Florence Nightingale and Mary Seacole.
We will be basing our work on the amazing text ‘The Dragon Machine’ by Helen Ward. This will be launch with an exciting Dragon Hunt in school!
Place Value and Number
· Addition and Subtraction
· Solve problems with addition and subtraction
· Recognise and use inverse operations between addition and subtraction including finding missing numbers
Number: Multiplication and Division
· Recall and use multiplication and division facts for the 2, 3, 5 and 10 multiplication tables, including recognising odd and even numbers. and solve X and ÷ problems
· Interpret and construct simple pictograms, tally charts, block diagrams and tables.
Properties of Shapes
· identify and describe the properties of 2-D shapes, including the number of sides, and line symmetry in a vertical line and the number of edges, vertices and faces in a 3d shape
· identify 2-D shapes on the surface of 3-D shapes, [for example, a circle on a cylinder and a triangle on a pyramid]
· compare and sort common 2-D and 3-D shapes and everyday objects
We will be continuing to complete our topic on Living things and their habitats. As the weather improves, we will use our school ground to explore the habitats in our area and look for any living creatures.
Please have a look at our Topic Map for further information about what is being taught in other subject areas.